Finding out more about Lt Edward Mcdonald

Welcome Forums Operations Squatter Finding out more about Lt Edward Mcdonald

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dan 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Darrell Farnsworth
    Participant

Hi all,

In my own studies about L Detachment and the actual Originals who served on Operation Squatter, I recently got perplexed having not been able to find out any information about Lt Edward Mcdonald after, the famous Special Forces/David Stirling photo taken during a photo shoot by the Army Photographic team on 18th January 1943. These photos are of course best known to many model makers and also for the covers of so many books about LRDG, L Detachment, 1st SAS, SBS etc. They are also known as the last set of photos taken before Col Stirling was captured.

Now what I do know about Edward Mcdonald is his army no: 2928608 and the fact he was one of Paddy Mayne’s Sgt’s in No 11(Scottish) Commando at the Battle of the Litani River and he was a participant in Op Squatter as well as one of the First NCO’s who got a Battlefield Commission in L Detachment, but i have tried to get hold of every book on the subject recently and was going to contact Army records to find out more as well as Kew. The most info I have found in a book is the excellent The Phantom Major and this does cover a lot about the actual Originals in a bit of depth.

I want to get together more of a detailed list of the participant’s of Op Squatter as well with more of their backgrounds(including the deceased and survivors) and will do soon. If anybody has any info about Lt Mcdonald, please let me know. I do know and have spoken to Mike Sadler recently but never got onto Mcdonald but had a long discussion about Paddy Mayne, which was very interesting.

Anyway speak soon,

cheers Darrell

dan
    Keymaster

Hi Darrell,

Welcome to the site and thanks for this post.

I believe Alan may have got back to you with some additional information, hope that was of some help.

I will start a dedicated topic for Edward McDonald in the Personnel section of these forums in a moment; if you have time, it’d be great if you could follow up by posting an update of the information you’ve pieced together in there.

Alan Orton has been working very hard on compiling what is probably the most accurate nominal roll for Operation Squatter to date. That is available in the digital archive. If you feel that needs amending, please do let myself or Alan know and we’ll have a discussion about any proposed changes (and update if necessary). As regard backgrounds of participants, let me know if you need any additional information about Charlie Cattell (a Squatter survivor, and my great uncle).

I’d also be very interested to hear about your discussions with Mike Sadler. I’ll also start a research topic on here dedicated to Paddy Mayne, so perhaps you could post some details in there, if you get chance?

Many thanks!

Dan

dan
    Keymaster

Quick follow-up to above: The research topics are now posted. Edward McDonald is at:

McDonald, E.

• Author

Darrell Farnsworth
    Participant

Hi all,

In my own studies about L Detachment and the actual Originals who served on Operation Squatter, I recently got perplexed having not been able to find out any information about Lt Edward Mcdonald after, the famous Special Forces/David Stirling photo taken during a photo shoot by the Army Photographic team on 18th January 1943. These photos are of course best known to many model makers and also for the covers of so many books about LRDG, L Detachment, 1st SAS, SBS etc. They are also known as the last set of photos taken before Col Stirling was captured.

Now what I do know about Edward Mcdonald is his army no: 2928608 and the fact he was one of Paddy Mayne’s Sgt’s in No 11(Scottish) Commando at the Battle of the Litani River and he was a participant in Op Squatter as well as one of the First NCO’s who got a Battlefield Commission in L Detachment, but i have tried to get hold of every book on the subject recently and was going to contact Army records to find out more as well as Kew. The most info I have found in a book is the excellent The Phantom Major and this does cover a lot about the actual Originals in a bit of depth.

I want to get together more of a detailed list of the participant’s of Op Squatter as well with more of their backgrounds(including the deceased and survivors) and will do soon. If anybody has any info about Lt Mcdonald, please let me know. I do know and have spoken to Mike Sadler recently but never got onto Mcdonald but had a long discussion about Paddy Mayne, which was very interesting.

Anyway speak soon,

cheers Darrell

dan
    Keymaster

Hi Darrell,

Welcome to the site and thanks for this post.

I believe Alan may have got back to you with some additional information, hope that was of some help.

I will start a dedicated topic for Edward McDonald in the Personnel section of these forums in a moment; if you have time, it’d be great if you could follow up by posting an update of the information you’ve pieced together in there.

Alan Orton has been working very hard on compiling what is probably the most accurate nominal roll for Operation Squatter to date. That is available in the digital archive. If you feel that needs amending, please do let myself or Alan know and we’ll have a discussion about any proposed changes (and update if necessary). As regard backgrounds of participants, let me know if you need any additional information about Charlie Cattell (a Squatter survivor, and my great uncle).

I’d also be very interested to hear about your discussions with Mike Sadler. I’ll also start a research topic on here dedicated to Paddy Mayne, so perhaps you could post some details in there, if you get chance?

Many thanks!

Dan

dan
    Keymaster

Quick follow-up to above: The research topics are now posted. Edward McDonald is at:

McDonald, E.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.