Jimmy Brough on Houndsworth??

Welcome Forums Operations Houndsworth Jimmy Brough on Houndsworth??

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dan 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Chris Pendlebury
    Participant

I have researched the WWII SAS activities of William Gordon ‘Jimmy’ Brough and have been able to find evidence of his antics from Squatter to Norway in 1945. I have however drawn a blank on the 1944 operations in France. I have a gut feel that he stayed in Scotland on reserve or training recruits, but I cannot find a nominal role for Operation Houndsworth; which would be the most logical operation for him to be on if he was operational. Does anyone have anything to offer. Chris

dan
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Have you considered Allied HQ in Brussels as his whereabouts during the late 1944 – early/mid 1945 period? Paddy Mayne spent his time between S.A.S. HQ in Chelmsford and Allied HQ in Brussels over this period.

There was training at Darvel in Ayrshire, as you know, which was intensive during 1944 and the lead-up to D-Day. However, during and after the landings, most of the S.A.S. personnel were deployed to Northeast Europe. Another Original, Sgt. Charlie Cattell, followed a similar path through the war to Jimmy Brough; he also survived Squatter, then deployed with Mayne during the SRS days in the Italian campaign. He was then at Darvel during the lead-up to D-Day, as were most of the SAS, as they trained, planned and prepared for the move into Europe. Then, again like Jimmy Brough, he finished up the war in Norway, in ’45. From his personnel records, amongst other things, I determined that Charlie was most likely at Allied HQ in Brussels for a period during late ’44 and early ’45. Many of the Originals from the early L-Detachment days remained within the same grouping (Paddy’s men). So I’d certainly suggest looking into Allied HQ as a possibility. Do you have his Army personnel file? Does that give any indication at all?

• Author

Chris Pendlebury
    Participant

I have researched the WWII SAS activities of William Gordon ‘Jimmy’ Brough and have been able to find evidence of his antics from Squatter to Norway in 1945. I have however drawn a blank on the 1944 operations in France. I have a gut feel that he stayed in Scotland on reserve or training recruits, but I cannot find a nominal role for Operation Houndsworth; which would be the most logical operation for him to be on if he was operational. Does anyone have anything to offer. Chris

dan
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Have you considered Allied HQ in Brussels as his whereabouts during the late 1944 – early/mid 1945 period? Paddy Mayne spent his time between S.A.S. HQ in Chelmsford and Allied HQ in Brussels over this period.

There was training at Darvel in Ayrshire, as you know, which was intensive during 1944 and the lead-up to D-Day. However, during and after the landings, most of the S.A.S. personnel were deployed to Northeast Europe. Another Original, Sgt. Charlie Cattell, followed a similar path through the war to Jimmy Brough; he also survived Squatter, then deployed with Mayne during the SRS days in the Italian campaign. He was then at Darvel during the lead-up to D-Day, as were most of the SAS, as they trained, planned and prepared for the move into Europe. Then, again like Jimmy Brough, he finished up the war in Norway, in ’45. From his personnel records, amongst other things, I determined that Charlie was most likely at Allied HQ in Brussels for a period during late ’44 and early ’45. Many of the Originals from the early L-Detachment days remained within the same grouping (Paddy’s men). So I’d certainly suggest looking into Allied HQ as a possibility. Do you have his Army personnel file? Does that give any indication at all?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.